Wednesday, November 3, 2010

happy housewives' day

today is national housewives' day. oh come on, don't pretend like you didn't know that already! okay maybe it's not a nationally recognized holiday like bosses day or mail-carrier day or nurses day but i think housewives have a pretty damn important job! it just happens to be the most under-appreciated job too! when i was growing up, i always wanted to be a housewife ... of course i anticipated it to be more like it is on tv (kids are rarely seen, moms are doing their own thing and helping out at the kids' school every now and then). i was in for a rude awakening! it is the most monotonous job EVER -- make the same foods, clean the same things, launder and put away the same clothes, wipe the same butts -- EVERYDAY!! but i also know that if i was working at a job outside of the home i would feel that i was missing out on so much of my children's lives! i didn't have kids so someone else could raise them. i want to be there to help with homework, to make their lunches, drive them school, take them to dance and gymnastics, cook dinner, and volunteer at their school. no one may be giving me a raise or a bouquet of flowers and a card on this "housewives' day" but i do feel rewarded everytime my girls give me a big hug and tell me how much they love me! i feel very fortunate that i have been granted the opportunity to do this important job!

2 comments:

  1. There's actually a day? Or is that just in the States? I'm always glad that I have the opportunity to stay home with my girls; but after all the butt wiping, laundry folding and dish doing, I think I'd like some flowers too. I'm putting it on the calendar for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is an actual "day" (although it might be just in the States)! There are a lot of very "random" day's - like National Popcorn day, Beer Can Appreciation day, International Dog Biscuit Appreciation day, and National Good Neighbor day! Really, there is probably a "day" for just about everyone! And if there is a Working Parents Day (September 16th), then why shouldn't there be a Housewives Day? Right?!

    If you would like to look up any other day's this is the website that I used to find this information -http://holidayinsights.com/moreholidays/index.htm

    ReplyDelete